Monday, July 21, 2008

Movie Candy: Reese's Peanut Butter Whoppers

Reeses WhoppersWhoppers, a must have movie candy. There are three (Original, Strawberry Milkshake, and Reese's Peanut Butter) flavors on the shelf for your movie going pleasure. Unless there are more hiding behind the Earth Dots.
Reese's Peanut Butter Whoppers have been out in large cartons for awhile, but according to my local grocer, the movie-size box is new.

My WhoppersToday's guest reviewers are Danie Ann (yes, another cousin) and Zander, her bear like chocolate lab. Mmm, chocolate. You might as well say "Gimme that!" to a Grizzly. Mega paws here showed great restraint after Danie wrestled the box (which I gave him) from his grip.

Zander staySeriously, look at those paws.

Danie Straw WhopperDanie, after carefully weighing the two newer flavors, seemed to prefer the Strawberry Milkshake Whoppers (which I'm not reviewing but got because I keep seeing them in the movie theater). Zander took quite a shine to that box of Reese's Peanut Butter Whoppers, showing less interest in the Strawberry.

Zander toyThe combination of the two, as you and the bagger at Cub's Foods can imagine, is not a good one. She actually shuddered as the two flavors rolled down the conveyor belt.
Eaten separately, however, they're both good. The Peanut Butter is more suckable (in a good way) and has that melt-in-your-mouth quality accentuated by a creamy smooth peanut butter flavor.
Reese's Peanut Butter Whoppers are not too sweet and the peanut butter compliments the crunch and cocoa of the malt. They're not too loud in a movie theater if you care about that sort of thing which you should, and can be thrown several rows with accuracy at people who don't.

Whopper Worthy
whopperThe Dark Knight
No one should have to tell you to see this movie because you should have already seen it at least once by now. Why are you still sitting here? GO, see it. I was almost hoping Heath Ledger wasn't as funny and clever and enticing as he was. Best. Joker. Ever. Love this director. (I've had just about enough of your Momento-bashing, young lady.)

whopperWALL-E
Fun, fun, funny—oops—incoming message: Get off your plus size asses and go plant a pizza tree. But I'm watching your movie, WALL-E, and I would have noticed the swimming pool right off. Bonus points for the Hello Dolly video. I had such a crush on Cornelius Hackl, oye vey!

whopperHellboy II: The Golden Army
Devil boy sent to destroy earth grows up to appreciate a good cigar and a sixer of mediocre beer (you couldn't use full cans for a big budget movie?). He also likes TV and cats, but don't hold that against him. Didn't see the first one, graphic novels usually look good, but can get tedious. Not so with Hellboy II, it has an interesting story with heart and imagination and it doesn't matter how many movies it reminds you of, it's still distinctive. Great opening backstory, above average art direction, well done action sequences.

21 comments:

  1. Wow! I had no idea that Whoppers came in Strawberry Milkshake and Reese's Peanut Butter flavours! This is why I need to read your blog every day! ;)

    I wonder if we have them in Canada yet. I haven't seen them around. I'm a big fan of the Original Whoppers. The first time I tried them was when I was a kid, visiting my uncle in NY. Can I tell you how many 'milk carton' packages of Whoppers I brought back with me to Canada? LOL! We have been able to purchase them here for a while now. Thank goodness.

    Zander is adorable. Love the huge paws!! Too cute!

    "They're not too loud in a movie theater if you care about that sort of thing which you should, and can be thrown several rows with accuracy at people who don't." LOL! You crack me up! ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi C., I've eaten so many Whoppers I can't believe I can eat them at all. Zander is a big ol' boy who needs a lot of lovin'. He'll be missing his mom a lot this weekend, hope I can amuse him.
    This guy in the movie theater, a rather robust fellow, runs down the aisle, from the very top row mind you, chasing after his family, then runs back up to jiggle his keys until the closing credits. This is who I was thinking of except he was sitting behind me. And don't think I wouldn't pelt him with something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Movie revies and candy reviews all in one GENIOUS!!!!

    I just wish I could get these Whoppers in the UK! They sound remarkably similar to Malteasers that we have here...just we dont have peanut butter flavoured Malteaers hmmmmph! Lucky Americans :P

    Note to self:

    1. Get Reese's Whoppers
    2. See Dark Knight!

    Thanks Jeanna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that guy sitting behind you sounds like a gem. I think I'd be tempted to pelt him with something too!

    Mmmmmmmmmm...Reese's Peanut Butter Whoppers!!! I'm going to look for them in stores tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they are very similar to Maltesaers, Jim. The Dark Knight is one of those "If there's one movie you see this summer..."
    Maybe we can do some kind of wish list exchange when the weather cools down. I may have to send you some strawberry and vanilla Charleston Chews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Chrissy, check out that Ched of the Week link on top of the sidebar to the Milw Cupcake Queen if you get a chance. If you know someone who likes cherry, coconut and chocolat they would flip out for these cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of things you find I'm just not sure about. But I love how you match them to movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lisa, the Peanut Butter ones were good, really. Bet the kids like all three kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Jeanna! Why???? WHY did you make me check out that link??? LOL! I was absolutely DROOLING. Now I want some of those cupcakes, but don't feel like baking them! Wish I could just snap my fingers and they'd magically appear! ;)

    Yes, I'm actually feeling MUCH better this week! I have been able to go 2 days solid without any nausea or vomiting (sorry, TMI! I know). I was out ALL day at different doctor's appointments and the OB-GYN. While we were in the "city" (Ha! We have to drive 2 hrs to get to the nearest 'big' city!) I had *gasp* a Grilled Chicken Flame Thrower at Dairy Queen's! LOL! I dunno, but this baby wants some spiiiiiiiiiiice! I don't know if I'll regret that in a few hours though! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW...Do I know anyone who likes chocolate, cherry and coconut??? Ummmmm...My HUSBAND! LOL! Actually, he loves anything sweet. It's a curse that runs in his family. If you offer him a choice between apple pie, cherry pie, blueberry pie and lemon pie, he'd take one of EACH!!! No joke! ;p

    I don't know HOW that man doesn't put on tons of weight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey C., glad you can down a flamin' DQ. He probably burns it up working the farm. The more I work out, however, the more weight I gain.
    That's pretty impressive that you can keep that kind of thing down and yeah, those cupcakes, OMG.
    I may try it if I can find the right occasion and someone who loves that combo.
    How did all those appointments go?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dunno...I knoa think there are something that are better left alone...Strawberry Milkshake Whoppers?!?? But PB might be OK....will have to test out & report back.

    **THANKS for the mention on the Bloggers Choice Awards Boards! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. "knoa"??? That was 'spose to be "kinda"

    Well, it is KINDA tough typing with these handcuffs....damn bra-nappers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is that strapcuffs or cupcuffs, Olga? I wholly recommend the peanut butter, but I'm still more of a sour chewy, gummi kinda gal.
    How's that Stockholm syndrome treating you?
    I thought you were talkin' Hawaiin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ha! The movie reviews were funny. I really liked Dark Knight (so...dark!) and can't wait to see Wall-E and Hellboy, although I have never seen these whoppers before, I have to look for them in the store!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sure hope I'm not starting to identify with Dr. Evil or Fat Bastard! Or I'm gonna have a whole lotta 'splaining to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Call me old fashioned but I'll settle for the regular Whoppers.
    You'll be glad to hear I've gained 5 pounds since my lady is feeding me every night. She just brought a dish in and set it next to the computer!!!!!
    I do want to see Dark Night.
    I'm tryin' to catch up on my fav gal bloggers tonight.
    Hugs and I've been missing you & c and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jeanna Sounds like a plan to me my dear (regarding the swap!!) as you said though when the weather cools down as its even bloody hot in the UK at the minute!!

    Saw Dark Knight at the weekend! Absolutely brilliant!!

    Tucked into some US goodies (Hersheys Milk Duds) whilst I was watching it too! I even mentioned you in my write up ;) as it reminded me of the Dish!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous5:49 PM

    I am dying to try the Reese's Peanut Butter Whoppers! Two great candies in one! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey there Cakespy, I think they'd look good on a cupcake. I just grab these things when I see them. But it did take until tonight to find some Earth Dots.

    Just hope Fat Bastard doesn't think you're baby back ribbed, Olga. I must check in on you when I'm conscious.

    Okay, James, you're an old fashion. Why not a gimlet (pronounced jimlet). Maybe you should have a nice shiny bowl next to the computer, but the girls might be jealous.

    I'll stop by soon, Jim, thanks for the mention. Milk Duds are such a classic, it's funny to hear you call them Hershey Milk Duds. They were my first movie candy love, luv. Maybe I'll do a write up on them, although I've got some lovely Nerds Ropes for the next review. Glad you saw and liked the DK, saw it on the IMAX today. We'll talk about an exchange.

    Hi Carly, I finished off a large box while dog sitting this weekend. The big brown beast prefers them to the Strawberry Milkshake as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Note to Danie Annie and Zannie: If you're gonna have a moment of self loathing before breakfast you gotta leave your name.

    ReplyDelete

No Spam Zone