Thursday, November 12, 2009

Earth Worms and Gummy Bears


Yummy Earth sent me some nice snackin' candy—bears and worms of the gummy kind. The thing that stood out about their package (stop, James), was the welcome absence of promotional material. Don't get me wrong, I used to write the stuff and would again if someone (anyone) would pay me, but I like to get right to the candy without the guilt of not reading testimonials.

"I consume this here product every day and my teeths is still good."

A wife of one of the dads who co-founded Yummy Earth (got that) reminds us that their candy is made with fruit extracts and planet friendly ingredients (well, the neighborhood dogs contribute daily to the planet and it's all very friendly). But it is worth noting that no Red 40 was used in the making of this candy (Jodi, Red 40 Girl).



Forget the fact that I've put on four pounds since my new workout regimen, but blind as a bat, I'm still a label reader.

Yummy Earth Gummy Worms
You get 96 Calories (21g Carbs, 12g Sugar), 0 Fat, Cholesterol, and Sodium for your seven Worms or 11 Bears (28g).
For 12 more grams of candy represented by the pack of Strikin' Strawberry Sour Punch Straws I hold in my hand (the Blue Raspberry has ten fewer calories) you get, I don't know, it's math, but it doesn't look that unreasonable (except the 34g carbs—just way too much and of course corn syrup and Red 40) for the weightier and far more filling straws. They also have 1g of Fiber.
More boring stuff for those of you who just don't care:
The box of Chocolate Lucky Charms I got today has 110 Calories, 24g Carbs, 1g Fat, 0 Cholesterol and 160mg Sodium for every 28 grams (not as bad as you'd think).
And now for the "Hey-quit-looking-at-my big butt."
But both Yummy Earth products are without artificial dyes, corn syrup, gluten, soy, peanuts, tree-nuts, dairy, GMO (not to be confused with JMO), and MSG.

IngredientsYou'll see ingredients such as organic rice syrup, organic aronia juice, organic black currant juice, and organic sunflower oil in the Yummy Earth products. So they've got that going for them.

Yummy Earth Gummy Bears
The Gummy Bears have the same Nutrition Facts, which includes 100% Vitamin C, and they taste pretty good. The Bear flavors are Pomegranate Pucker, Strawberry Smash, and Sour Apple Tart, the Worms replace the Strawberry with Tangy Tangerine and are more flavorful than the Bears. I like the fact that the worms look like slugs.
Both are a good size, competitive in the gummy flavor arena, and kids and adults could do a lot worse than Yummy Earth.

Top photo courtesy of Yummy Earth

6 comments:

  1. That 3rd pic looks like gummy bear poop?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean the slugs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I luvv the gummy earthworms and that audio clip always cracks me up. :)

    And the flavors sound good. Tangerine, huh? Almost worth checking out Trader Joe's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were okay taste wise, but more impressive ingredient wise (not so much calorie, carb, and sugar wise).
    Now I'm hungry for Wise potato chips.
    I think the Halls Refresh I finally got were more of a hit. I should put up a post.
    Apathetic "eh."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pics! Organic gummies, you say?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey C., good talking to you on FB. This is the first chance I've gotten to sit down and dish. Don't ask me what I've been doing, just lost in the weeds I think. Putting up a new Dish post now. Put up a Curtain post (got the comment and spam thing figured out finally) and bet you would have loved the holiday concert I wrote about. I LOVE that kind of thing, glad my cuz reminded me this year. You sing too, no?

    ReplyDelete

No Spam Zone